Refer to Website Concept Class 12 Informatics Practices Notes and Questions below. These revision notes and solved important questions for Website Concept have been prepared as per the latest syllabus for class 12 Informatics Practices issued for current academic year. Students should go through these Class 12 Informatics Practices Notes as they will help them to revise all important concepts prior to their examinations
Website Concept Class 12 Informatics Practices Notes
Website – One of the most common reasons for us to be using Internet every day is the information it is loaded with. The information is generated by multiple sources and is carefully organized in the form of files and web pages, which, when grouped together to form a single entity, become a website.
So, a collection of web pages which are grouped together and Usually connected together in various ways. Often called a “web site” or simply a “site”.
WEBSITE IMPORTANCE AND USES –
The websites are utilized for various purposes like Web surfing, Email and chatting, Social Networking, Videos, Online Business, Searching Jobs, News and Information, Classified Ads, Blogs, Downloads, Online payments, Online Banking, File sharing, Online games etc.
⇒ Open for Business 24 Hours a Day.
⇒ Reach New Markets With a Global Audience.
⇒ Improved Customer Service.
⇒ Save Money on Printing and Distribution Costs.
⇒ Create A Product Or Service Showcase.
⇒ Sell Your Products and Services Online.
⇒ Viral Marketing without a Marketing Cost.
Why Do People Visit Websites?
Website concepts Generally, people look at websites for two primary reasons:
⇒ To find information they are in need. This could be anything from a tourister searching information of a city or location ,student looking for pictures for a school project, to finding the latest stock quotes, to getting the address of the nearest restaurant.
⇒ To complete a task. people may want to buy the latest best-seller of a product or best product, download a software program, or participate in an online discussion about a favorite hobby.
Components of a good website
♦ Easy navigation
♦ Secured contents
♦ Proper layout
♦ Proper links
♦ Effective color scheme
♦ Fast load time
♦ Mobile friendly
♦ Font that suits website
♦ Good quality images with less size
♦ Consistency of design among all pages
Things we need in order to build a website
- Domain name (our custom web address,www.OurWebSiteName.com)
- Website hosting (service that hosts our website)
- Website designing tools / languages –tools(Firefox Developer, Photoshop, PanicCoda, dreamweaver, Fireworks etc.),languages(html,asp,php,jsp,.net etc)
Two of the most common methods for designing websites that work well both on desktop and mobile are responsive and adaptive design. In responsive design, content moves dynamically depending on screen size; in adaptive design, the website content is fixed in layout sizes that match common screen sizes.
WEBSITE STRUCTURE Proper structuring of a website and breaking them into sub sections on the basis of file type and subject matter is very important. Website structure refers to the framework in which the information or content of a website employs for both usability and presentation.
Working of a website
When a user requests the Web page, the browser employed by the user requested the server through DNS server and by fetching and interpreting the requested files, displays it on users screen. DNS server convert domain name to ip address(unique address) –this process is known as dns resolution
Some examples of websites
Web page -or webpage is a document or html document commonly written in HTML, that is viewed in an Internet browser. A web page can be accessed by entering a URL address into a browser’s address bar. A web page may contain text, graphics, and hyperlinks to other web pages and files.
A web page is often used to provide information to its visitor, including pictures or videos to help illustrate important topics. A web page may also be used as a method to sell products or services to visitors.
Difference between website and web page
Dynamic web page – Dynamic Web Pages are written in languages such as JSP,ASP,.NET,PHT etc. In dynamic web pages, the Content of pages varies as per the requirement of its visitor.for e.g. if we login to any web site then our name is displayed similarly if other person login on the same site his name will be displayed. It takes more time to load than the static web page. Dynamic web pages are used where the information is changed frequently, for example, stock prices, weather information, etc.
Difference between static webpage and dynamic web page
Web Server –Web server is a computer where the web content is stored. Basically web server is used to host the web sites and deliver the resources requested through web browser. In more technical term it is a program that uses HTTP for serving files that create web pages for users in response to their requests that are sent by the HTTP clients of their computer is called a web server.
Features of a Web Server –
- Fast in speed means high bandwidth
- Able to mitigate bandwidth congestion
- Maximum uptime-means always response
- Support most of server site scripting languages
- Easy user interface
- Virtual hosting
Functions of a Web Server –
♦ Stores and secures website data
♦ Provides web database access
♦ Serve the end user requests
♦ Bandwidth controlling to regulate network traffic
♦ virtual hosting
♦ Server side web scripting
Web Server examples –
- Apache web server –1996 ,maintained by apached foundation,most used web server
- IIS –Internet information services by Microsoft
- NGINX- 2002 by igor sysoev, Used for large web sites with too much traffic
- Apache Tomcat- initiate by sun microsystem an in 1999 transferred to apache software foundation
- Lighthttpd –2003, Uses a very low memory,cpu and disk space, for small web hosting projects
Web hosting – Web hosting is the place where all the files of your website live. It is like the home of our website where it actually lives. A good way to think about this is if the domain name is the address of our house, then web hosting is the actual house that address points to. All websites on the internet, need web hosting. Domain names and web hosting are two different services. However, they work together to make websites possible.It is possible with the system known as DNS.
There are four main types of web hosting:
- Shared hosting – share by multiple domains/web sites.
- VPS (virtual private server) hosting – The main server is split into multiple virtual servers—hence the name. These virtual servers can be customized by individual websites.
- Dedicated hosting – Websites being hosted on a dedicated serverhave complete technical control over the server settings. We choose the software, configurations, and anything else we need.
- Cloud hosting – Cloud hosting plans come with multiple remote servers. Each server has different responsibilities. If one of the servers is compromised or has a problem, the other servers on the network will take over those responsibilities and pick up the slack.
- Reseller hosting and WordPress hosting are also specific types of hosting